Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at CCHS! Listed below are current job openings we have available. We also have many great volunteer opportunities which you may be interested.
Type: Full-time, exempt
Hours: 40 hours
Pay: based on experience
Benefits: CCHS does not currently offer medical or retirement benefits.
Paid time off (holidays, vacation and sick time) per employee handbook.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Bookkeeper, Development Coordinator
Overview: The General Manager provides the leadership and operational knowledge necessary to realize the vision of
the Contra Costa Humane Society (CCHS) – a world where all animals are cared for, respected, and loved. The primary
responsibility of the Managing Director is operational oversight and budget/financial management. The General
Manager is also responsible for volunteer recruitment and management. In collaboration with staff and in the execution
of CCHS programs and services the General Manager supports organizational effectiveness and mission delivery.
Finance and Administration:
- Oversee sound financial planning, management, and reporting including the development of the yearly budget,
daily financial management, monthly P&L reporting, and the implementation of adequate financial controls and
- Oversee facilities management including serving as key contact for the landlord and all vendors providing
services related to the facility(ies) and general operations. Support the Programs Manager and the vendor
management and organizational relationships related to animal welfare programs.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all relevant federal, state and local laws, regulations, and applicable
policies set forth by the Board of Directors.
- Analyze internal and external data to identify long-term trends impacting service delivery, the needs of
stakeholders and external opportunities and threats facing the organization.
- Ensure that CCHS short and long-range strategies, that align the organization’s resources to achieve its mission,
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the issues and stakeholders surrounding the work of CCHS.
- Support the Board of Directors as needed to succeed in its governance role.
Volunteer & Staff Management:
- Develop and lead volunteer recruitment efforts and ensure volunteers are trained and scheduled for animal welfare programs, administrative roles, outreach events, and fundraising activities. Partner with staff and volunteers on volunteer communications and recognition efforts/events.
- Oversee staff and volunteers responsible for aspects of financial management and operations including the Bookkeeper. Oversee staff and volunteers tasked with resource generation (fundraising) including the Development Coordinator.
- Build collaborative and productive relationships with volunteers, donors, partners and the general public by representing the organization in a positive manner.
- Participate in the recruitment, employment, development, and release of staff and volunteers and ensure that good human resource and volunteer management practices are in place.
- Represent CCHS to external constituents including news media, partner organizations, funders and community leaders. Deliver presentations on CCHS services to community groups, local employers and to media outlets
- Proven ability and at least 2 years experience in managing the operations and finances of a small non-profit organization.
- Experience in developing, managing, and reporting monthly and annual finances. Experience in budgeting and variance reporting for programs and operations.
- At least 1 year experience managing staff.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent communications skills – both written and verbal – and the ability to communicate complex topics to a variety of audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills that demonstrate an ability to work productively with a variety of people and groups with varying interests.
- Proficiency in workplace software programs, including Salesforce, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and QuickBooks.
- Demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with businesses, volunteers, donors, other non-profit organizations, and government entities.
- A strong personal connection and commitment to the mission and goals of CCHS.
Interested and qualified candidates please submit a cover letter which includes salary expectations and resume.
Applications should be emailed to: