CCHS operates three separate, distinct adoption programs for cats, and each have slightly different requirements. Meet the cats in all three of these programs currently up for adoption in the Adoption Gallery.
Cats available through CCHS’s Cat Foster Program are those that our organization obtains from Contra Costa County Animal Services (the public shelter) in Martinez or Pinole. These cats are made available to rescue groups for any number of reasons (e.g., bottle babies, needing medical attention, needing behavioral attention, not enough interest from the public, elderly, etc.). Animal Services tries very hard to find homes for all of these cats, but the sheer volume of animals surrendered on a daily basis makes this a very difficult feat for them to do by themselves.
Foster Program cats are placed in CCHS foster homes and given the care needed to re-adjust to life in a home. Once ready, they are placed as available for adoption to the public. They can be met by appointment as they are not on site.
- Fees and Services Included:
- Cats > 6 months: $80.00 for one cat or $140.00 for two cats.
- Kittens < 6 months: $120.00 for one kitten or $200.00 for two kittens.
- All of the felines available through our Foster Program are spayed or neutered, microchipped, and given age-appropriate vaccinations for their new home. Oftentimes, further medical care has been given, such as flea treatment, deworming, stool samples, or specific surgeries. On average, CCHS invests over $250.00 per cat, which includes their food, treats, toys, litter, supplies and medical treatment. Your minimal adoption fee helps to offset some of these costs and ensures funding for other cats in need of care through our programs.
- Adoption Terms: Adoption of a CCHS foster cat or kitten includes a built-in one (1) week trial period. Should you choose to return the animal within the one (1) week trial period, you are entitled to a 50% refund of your adoption fee. As the foster home may have already been filled by another animal in need, surrender fees may apply for animals returned after the one (1) week trial period.
Kitty Corner is a program operated by CCHS in partnership with Contra Costa County Animal Services. As a private shelter, Kitty Corner houses adult, senior, and special needs cats that are owned by Contra Costa County Animal Services and/or CCHS. Kitty Corner serves to provide more off-site space for these cats in order to increase their chances of adoption and help to off-load some of the feline frenzy that fills the public shelter during kitten season in particular. These cats are able to free-roam throughout the shelter and are not caged, giving potential adopters the most accurate idea of their personalities. These cats are housed on CCHS premises and can be met by appointment during the week or during weekend adoption events held Saturday, Sunday & Monday from 12-3pm.
- Fees and Services Included:
- Cats > 6 months: $80.00 for one cat or $140.00 for two cats. Cats belonging to Contra Costa County Animal Services are subject to Animal Services‘ adoption fees and accordances.
- Kitty Corner cats are available for adoption to the public and are spayed/neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV negative and current on vaccines.
- Adoption Terms: Adoption of a CCHS Kitty Corner cat includes a built-in one (1) week trial period. Should you choose to return the cat within the one (1) week trial period, you are entitled to a 50% refund of your adoption fee. Surrender fees may apply for cats returned after the one (1) week trial period due to space availability at Kitty Corner.
Re-Homing Assistance Program
CCHS’s Re-Homing Assistance Program is a service provided to the public when they can no longer care for their companion cats and dogs. Oftentimes, a situation arises in which an animal must be re-homed, and after exploring all other options, CCHS will post a photo and biography of the companion animal available for re-homing. These are not animals in CCHS foster care; rather, CCHS acts as a third-party advertising method for the animal.
All Re-Homing Assistance Program animals are spayed/neutered and current on their vaccines. If you are interested in adopting a cat available through CCHS’s Re-Homing Assistance Program, please complete an Adoption Application. Once received, you’ll be contacted either by CCHS or the cat’s guardian. If it seems like a good match, a meeting time will be set by the guardian, who will make the final adoption decision.
Adoption fees are determined by the animal’s guardian. CCHS typically recommends an adoption fee of at least $50-$100.