AniMealsMore and more pets are finding themselves homeless because their families are facing tough economic times. AniMeals Pet Food Bank is a partnership of Contra Costa Humane Society, the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, and Pet Food Express that helps financially challenged families and individuals keep their pets in the home. CCHS is happy to assist our community by providing supplementary pet food to the most needy in Contra Costa County.
AniMeals works with community groups, local businesses, and compassionate individuals to collect pet food and, through our partnership with the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, distribute these goods to our community's neediest families.
We are in need of cat food! Any donations of cat food (dry or wet) are greatly appreciated. Please drop donations off at our CCHS office (or by leaving it in our AniMeals barrels outside our office or Kitty Corner afterhours) or at any of the following Pet Food Express locations:
- Antioch: 5829 Lone Tree Way
- Clayton: 5404 Ygnacio Valley Road, Concord
- Concord: 785 Oak Grove Road
- Danville: 609 San Ramon Valley Road
- Lafayette: 3610 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
- Pinole: 1430 Fitzgerald Drive
- Pleasant Hill: 2158 Contra Costa Blvd.
- Walnut Creek: 1388 S. California Blvd.
- Blackhawk: 11000 Crow Canyon Road, Suite F
We take donations of unexpired dog and cat food (if opened, please seal securely). AniMeals also offers other opportunities for support, including monetary donations, sponsorships, hosting your own food drive, and volunteering.
Many thanks to Pet Food Express and these other AniMeals' business affiliates: Diablo Press, Breeder's Choice, Castor & Pollux, Diamond Foods, Natural Balance Nutro, Nature's Variety, Stella & Chewy's and Wellness.
To receive food through AniMeals:
If you are interested in this program, please take a few minutes to review the procedures:
- The program is in partnership with the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano. To be a part of AniMeals you must register with the Food Bank and can contact them at 925-676-7543 or 800-870-3663. They will give you the list of easy requirements such as valid form of ID, proof of address, and income guidelines for all household members.
- Once you are signed up for the Food Bank, CCHS distributes food once monthly out of Martinez, Rodeo and Pittsburg. To receive food you will need to attend one of the distribution sites listed below.
- Come to the site and receive food from the Food Bank. You will see our location. Bring your Food Bank registration card and present to the CCHS volunteer to be registered in the program. The volunteer will ask to see your card and ask what animals are in the household.
- You will need to have proof of spay/neuter for EVERY animal in the household. If you do not have it with you, CCHS will allow a month of food so that the following month you can bring the proof of spay/neuter and register. You can obtain proof of spay/neuter from your records, registration with the county or from your vet - or a local vet can examine the animal (fees may apply). CCHS will not continue to serve food for unregistered pets or families without proof of spay/neuter.
- Once registered you will be given an yellow or orange (colors may change) ticket symbolizing whether you have a dog or a cat at home. Only ONE (1) portion of food ranging from 4-8 pounds (typical serving is 4 pounds) of food will be given for ONE dog in the home and ONE (1) portion for a cat in the home. All food is donated to CCHS so unfortunately we do not have enough to give more than one portion per animal.
- Each month you can return to the same site that you are registered at, stand in line and check in, then receive a portion of supplemental food. If you miss a month or two - fear not - once you are registered we will keep you registered for a period of time. If you need to re-register for any reason we will let you know when you come to the distribution to check in.
CCHS may also distribute other pet items (though it is not guaranteed) such as litter, toys, leashes, bedding, carriers and treats.
Remember - don't forget proof of spay/neuter! We hope to see you there.
Distribution sites and days for 2013:
|Address||Boys and Girls Club - 1301 Alhambra Avenue, Martinez|
|Dates||The 1st Monday of the month from 10am-12pm.
|1/7, 2/4, 3/4, 4/1, 5/6, 6/3, 7/1, 8/5, 9/9, 10/7, 11/4, 12/2 (change in Sept. due to Labor Day)|
||Solomon Temple - 655 California Avenue|
||The 1st Tuesday of the month from 10am-12 pm.
|1/7*, 2/5, 3/5, 4/2, 5/7, 6/4, 7/2, 8/6, 9/3, 10/1, 11/5, 12/3 (1/7 due to New Years)|
||Bayo Vista Child Care Center - 2 California Street|
||The 2nd Tuesday of the month from 10 am-12 pm.
1/8, 2/12, 3/12, 4/9, 5/14, 6/11, 7/9, 8/13, 9/10, 10/8, 11/12, 12/10